The inhabitants of the province of Dalarna, or Dalecarlia as it is often called abroad, have always been freedom-loving and ready to defend their freedom. They took the field when their kings called, but they also rebuked those monarchs who violated fundamental democratic principles.
From 1542 there have existed more or less permanent military units in Dalarna. The official year for the founding of Dalregementet, the regiment of Dalarna, is 1625. The regiment existed for 375 years before it was disbanded in the year 2000.
In 1796 Dalregementet got its first permanent training area in Rommehed, where one of our two museums is established in one of the old blockhouses in the camp area.
the regiment moved to a new, modern four-storey barracks in
Falun. In 1975 a
second regimental museum was established within the barrack grounds and it is still there.
Opening hours Rommehed as arranged
Opening hours Falun
First Saturday every month 13.00-16.00 as arranged
For more information contact:
Joint museum office Tfn: 070-247 78 94